Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Child of the 80's...really

So, this is just what's on my mind today. I was born in 1969... my childhood, which I don't remember much of, was lived in the 70's. However, my formative years were the 80's. The age of big hair, legwarmers, colorful clothes, Madonna, Duran Duran (my favorite!) and the start of the technology revolution of cell phones and computers.





Ofcourse, computers existed when I was a kid. I do remember my dad working while he was finishing his college degree, on HUGE room-sized computers, and bringing home the punch cards for me to play with.





I also remember the movie "Beverly Hills Cop", when Axel went to Beverly Hills and saw someone driving down the road on a 'cell phone'... remember? Those big bag phones that EVERYONE thought was the wave of the future.





Now, granted..I thought by the year 2000, we'd all be flying in cars, teleporting to other places, and spaceships instead of planes would fly us everywhere. I also thought that we would be living on other planets, a la The Jetsons.





Well...that hasn't happened. We haven't had a World War (although, theoretically, I guess you could say we've had a couple), and we're not flying and living on other planets... In fact the space program has all but died.





However... technology by way of computer and cellphone technology has sky rocketed. And, here's what I think about it. Those who know me can stop right now..because you all know how I feel.





I'm a computer junkie. Have been since the discovery of AOL at a job where I had no responsibilities, and I was bored out of my gourd. However, I discovered that you can find out information on the internet, and even make "Friends"...haha...the chatroom! But, to this day, I am the "Google Queen"...and can find almost any little tidbit of information on the internet. Consquently, I'm totally obsessed with finding news, celebrities, and Facebook. I love re-connecting with old friends, making new ones, finding common ground with people that I never thought I would (thanks Susie), and really finding a network of support that I wouldn't have though I could ever have. However, the downside is the wasted amount of time that I spend on Facebook, and the internet, throughout the day. I have been very unhappy with my job since the onset of "She who must not be named" has come to work here, and I really just don't want to be here...therefore, I really don't do much work. I do what comes to my desk, but my enthusiasm, and my initiative to get things done has just gone by the way-side. I'm hoping that once the summer comes, and it's gone... that problem of mine...that I'll get back to the way things were. Caring about my clients, and my job.





And..then there are Cell phones... or should I say now "Smartphones"...which allows you to pretty much have anything you want at your fingertips. Does anybody understand what this does to relationships? communication? society??? How many times has this happened to you? You're in the grocery store, and following someone who is wandering the aisles, getting in your way, blocking everything... all while on the phone? completely oblivious to anything going on around them? I can't tell you how much this bugs me. Like, there is nobody in the world besides "me" and whoever I'm talking to on the phone... Have you also noticed that people, who aren't even on the phone, still take this mentality. Nobody in the entire world exists other than "ME"...

have you noticed this? parties, restuarants, personal conversation has gone by the wayside in the form of Facebook posts, constant updates, and checking emails. Look around a restaurant the next time you go out...count the people on their phones... or the ones who have them in their hands... all while 'trying' to have a conversation. Look at the other person at the table...are they looking around the restaurant totally bored? Parties! OMG!!! I love looking around at parties, a supposed 'social occasion'...and nearly 1/2 the people are on their iPhones...getting the latest updates. It's almost like people can't even live in the moment anymore!

Even children are doing it... It used to be going to a restaurant would be a family outing. Or skiing, camping, whatever.... only to be taken up now by texting, video games, and portable DVD players.

It sickens me to know that society is falling to technology...and it's only going to get worse. Laptops are becoming obsolete, being replaced by iPads, and netpads ... go on the internet wherever you are. No wireless connection...no problem - 4G hotspot technology! You don't even need an internet cafe anymore.

Mom and Pop stores are closing due to internet shopping. Nothing is personal anymore. Nothing is face to face. It saddens me to no end to know that my daughter will grow up in this world.

Oh! and the people who actually think that my daughter will be behind in school because she doesn't have her own computer with video games on it... REALLY?!?!?! you think she's less intelligent because she reads books and plays outside... talk to me when she graduates college.

Anyway, this is something I'm fairly passionate about. Like I said, those who know me know this rant...

my cell phone is due for renewal in July. My phone makes phone calls, and texts... that's it. I've been tempted to get a smartphone... I guess time will tell if I fall into the trap of "bigger, better, faster, stronger..." I really hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment