so, this is what I have to say about it - technology has turned people into the most selfish society...and everybody lives in their own bubble, without any regards for anything going on around them. Cellphones, video games, facebook, internet... all cause people to forget that everything they say is personal, everything you do is looked at... and everything can be misinterpreted.
I never say anything, ever, on a public forum without completely understanding my intention, and wording it so that it doesn't offend anybody. If I think that could happen, I reword it to explain exactly what I mean, or I don't post it at all. I also stand by what I say... I wouldn't post it if I didn't mean it.
I started this blog because sometimes I just have something to say... read it or don't...I don't really care - but recently I have been attacked by someone who I thought was my friend over a misinterpretation of something that I said. And, by attacked, I mean accused of somehow attacking her over something she said...that I didn't even read in the first place!
So, my point is this... I'm not going to put it out there if I don't mean it. If you think I insulted you, or somehow attacked you... how about asking me first. Email and facebook posts and anything in writing doesn't have any inflection, you can't read the person's eyes to know if they're kidding or not, or sarcastic. Sometimes caustic words that are meant as a sarcastic point are misinterpreted...
I've been guilty of misinterpreting myself... whether someone said it in a post, or in a text... or an email. "What did that mean"... "was she talking about me?"... "I never said that"... when it wasn't even about me!
We can't be so selfish to think that everything that's said or done in the world of the internet, or facebook... or wherever - has ANYTHING to do with us. It could be something entirely different.
I don't mean to offend, I never intended to make anybody angry at me. But I will not apologize for anything that I've said. It's my opinion...read it or don't... but please don't attack me for something that you really don't understand.
I know who my friends are. The outpouring of love from those who I may not have known for 20 years, but I know I could count on in a heartbeat. Neighbors, SAR friends, old college friends (who are not the person who attacked me)... have come forward to tell me that I need to let it go.
I'm saddened that this person is so angry at something that she felt the need to make me feel small, or put me on the defensive. I know I will get through this... I hope she will too - whatever it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment